Wednesday 31 August 2011

The Lone Ranger



I've got a wee story about The Lone Ranger. One day, when I was still too young to read the time, I had to go for a haircut on the way home from school. Mr Bowman was the slowest barber in the world, not just Lochgelly, and I kept asking him the time because I didn't want to miss my favourite television programme. He repeatedly told me that there was plenty time and when I eventually got my haircut I said to him "If I've missed The Lone Ranger I'm no' comin' back here." Needless to say I had missed it, by over an hour and I never went back there to get my hair cut. Until about 20 years later, that is, my ship was in Rosyth after spending over a month at sea during the Cod War. I was allowed home on weekend leave but told by the Master-At-Arms that I must have a haircut before I returned. Bowman's was the only barbers open in Lochgelly the day before I was to return back on board HMS Galatea and I had little choice but to give him my custom. When I sat in the chair auld Bowman got started and smirked as he remarked "Aye, ye' came back efter a' Jim."

2 comments:

  1. He remembered what you said after all that time!! You had to eat crow and bear it. Very funny. Scots have long memories, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everyday when I was at primary school I would pass Mr Bowman as I walked to school and he was walking in the other direction to his shop. I would politely wish him a good morning and he would often ask me if I was happy with my haircut at the other barber.

    ReplyDelete